Seventh-Day Adventist History
The Seventh-day Adventist Church was born out of the Millerite movement of the 1840’s when thousands of Christians searched for greater understanding of Biblical prophecy. Among these believers was a small group in New England that rediscovered the seventh-day Sabbath. They chose the name “Seventh-day,” which refers to the biblical Sabbath, Saturday, ordained by God at Creation. “Adventist” means we’re looking for the return of Jesus Christ to earth.
In 1863, the new Sabbath-keepers officially organized into a denomination with 3,500 members worshiping in 125 churches. They soon began sharing their faith outside of North America, first in Switzerland in 1874, then in Russia, Ghana, South Africa, Argentina and Japan. Today, as one of the fastest growing Christian Protestant churches, nearly 15 million Seventh-day Adventist baptized members live in 202 countries of the world.
The town of Turlock sits almost in the center of the state of California, among orchards of almond trees, walnut trees, peach groves, vineyards, and melon fields, to name a few of the bounties all around. The arrival of irrigation shortly after the turn of the century allowed the San Joaquin Valley to become a farming center. Thus in September of 1906 the initial church was formed with 13 members. In the early ‘80s the new California State College became a University. All these things have helped to swell the population of Turlock to over 70,000, and our church membership to over 500.